Sunday, July 8, 2007

WTB (spreading the Word)

A few weeks ago I received a package from WTB containing 2 NanoRaptors, 2 ExiWolfs, a new 2007 Silverado Saddle, a pair of WTB QR Skewers and new Jersey from Vassago with WTB written all over it. Being familiar with WTB products (avid user of their Rocket Saddle and ExiWolf 2.3 tire for the last few years) I couldn't wait to get this stuff on my bike and get out on the trail. Unfortunately, I had to wait a few days. It was the day before the 24 Hours of Panthers Creek and I learned the hard way never to make major changes the day before a race. Anyway, the week after the race all products were added to my Bandersnatch and after approx. 250 miles of trail I'm ready to spread the word....

The tires: I've used the ExiWolf on my SS in the past but due to money and the need to try new stuff I had stopped using it. My latest set up was a Navegal on the Front and an Ignitor on the rear. I placed the 2.3 Exi on the front and the 2.1 Nano on the rear. This is the best set up I've ridden by far. Both tires have bite on sandy, rocky, rooty and hard packed trails (I've ridden Harbison State Forest in SC, Bent Creek in Asheville, Pisgah in Brevard, and HeartBreak/Kitzuma in Black Mountain on these tires and they never let me down, know matter what the condition. For you weight weenies, the ExiWolf weighs withing 10 grams of the Navegal and the Nano is about the same as the Ignitor but the rolling resistance, or lack there of is the catch. These tires roll so much faster than my previous set up (i wouldn't care if they were 200 grams heavier).

The saddle: I've ridden a WTB Rocket Saddle for several years on 3 different bikes and I had no intentions of trying anything new. I was a little skeptical. Anyway, I placed the new 2007 Silverado on my Bandersnatch and rode it for 3 four to five hour rides within a two week period. I will trade my Rockets for a couple more of these saddles. This saddle fit like a glove. I never got any sore or numb spots and still haven't. This saddle is strong and light and comes in black and white w/urban como trim. I've crashed several times and there's not a scratch on it. The white is also shedding mud/stains well. I've ridden in the mud and rain and to my disbelief it's still white. I've noticed many shops in our area have WTB saddles you can take out on trial/trail rides. Give it a try, you can thank me later.

The Skewers: Bontrager skewers came on both my old 29'ers which are now on sale. I'm not one for spending money on stuff until it breaks so I've been using them for 2 years. I have one thing to say about them. They slip. These skewers have always slowly loosened up after approx 20 miles of riding. So when WTB sent me some new WTB QR Skewers, I was happy to try them. I've ridden approx 250 miles on them and I've never had to stop and tighten. They're black, sleek and dependable. Of course you can spend twice the amount on some more popular skewers, but why would you want to?

Bottom Line: WTB continues to make great, affordable and dependable products. I haven't had the opportunity to ride their 29er wheels yet but this is what I will put on my new Jabberwocky soon. Reviews to come....

1 comment:

The Evil MGE! said...

Your gonna love the singlespeed Jabberwocky. Same Geo as the Bandersnatch and so much fun with the rigid Vassago Pitchfork.