Tuesday, November 27, 2007

2007 SWANK 65

On the morning of Sunday November 7th I drove out to Cove Creek Campground in Pisgah Forest to ride in the last race of my season. Don't let the name fool you (It's metric). The SWANK 65 is a 42 mile race set in the Pisgah Mountains outside of Brevard, NC. Like other races organized by Todd Branham it was very well, marked, supported and organized. Here's how it went.

The race sold out with 100 riders signing up long before the event and 97 of those who planned ahead showed up for the running start. Approximately 25 riders out of those 97 took off like they were running the 100 yard dash at the local track meet. I started somewhere behind those guys (and girls). After running about a third of a mile of rooty, rocky single track in hard sole race shoes, the ride started.

We quickly started a fairly long steep climb on some technical single track traveling away from the campground. I had ridden my Bandersnatch 100 miles the week before at the TreeShaker and had hoped my legs would heal enough to feel well this week on the Jabberwocky (Vassago SS/Stay tuned for a full review and pics). I quickly realized I was at about 80% and decided to pace the begining of the ride knowing there were several hours left to go. Arriving at the first rest stop, I realized I was somewhere in the top 25 and my legs were starting to feel better. Rest stop 1 and 2 were the same so I skipped this stop and rode on.

This section of the race was rolling SS and double track that was covered with leaves and rocks. It was hard to get into any kind of a groove on the SS in these conditions, but the 29 inch wheels and steel frame definately took off the edge and flowed well through the loose rocks and roots. I rode on, trading spots with several other riders who I would continue to see throughout the race. I arrived back at the rest stop, checked my back pack for a water level, quickly grabbed some food and rode on.

This part of the race was the hardest of the day. The ups were long with intervals of steep sections. For the first time in the race I was forced to walk the SS. This happened on 3 occassions and I shared each one with other single speeders. After reaching the top and briefly riding a ridge line I started my descent down Farlow Gap. In my opinion, this is the hardest trail to ride in the Forest. The beginning and end of this trail is ridable and I rode most of it out, gaining several spots. After approaching the middle section of the trail and seeing 2 riders go down hard I decided to play it safe and walk where it was questionable. In my mind it was questionable for about a mile. This was slow walking with loose rocks, leaf covered roots and steep slippery drops. The trail dumps you out on the easiest and fastest part of the race with a short section of road and double track that took me back to the last rest stop. I quickly ate a few bites and filled up with some water.

The end of the race was much easier than I had heard and I was disapointed in myself for not knowing this. From rest stop 3 there was about 3 miles of gradual dirt road climbing and then 5 or 6 miles of fast single track back to the camp and finish line. I finished the race in 5 hours and 9 minutes which was good enough for 7th in the SS class and 31st overall.

Congratulations to the Open Men's First and Second, locals Sam Koerber and Marshall Hance of Endless Cogs; First and Second of Open Women's Trish Stevenson and Paula Burks; and First and Second in SS Jason Chapman and Gary Chambers (who I spotted smoking an after race cigarette by the race postings). Is that there secret?

Thanks to Kris and Misty at Vassago, WTB, White Brothers, George at Bike29 and Cane Creek for a great season. I managed to get through 7 races on products by these companies this season with zero mechanicals or flats. It's time for winter riding in the mountains. See ya next season...

1 comment:

My name is Stephen said...

Hey Chris, send me an e-mail
thejaneschronicle@yahoo.com
We live near each other,
Stephen Janes